ABOUT THE STUDIO
Nan Britton | Piano Teacher, Owner, Operator | Love to Make Music Studio
2004 – Present
It is my goal:
- To instill a knowledge and love of music in whoever I teach
- To encourage and build up my students as we interact
I have chosen to teach music in a home studio. I prefer the warm atmosphere a home offers to enhance the learning experience. The studio continues to grow and I am privileged to keep in touch with students who have graduated the program I offer. It is thrilling to see them carrying on with further education and continuing to learn and thrive musically and in life.
I teach all ages and all learning abilities. My youngest student began learning at the age of 3 years old and it’s never too late to begin! My oldest beginner started her adventure when she retired. I also teach students with learning disabilities.
My philosophy: Music is for everyone.
The piano program I offer is from beginner to Level 8 Royal Conservatory Level.
The Music Theory program is from beginner to Advanced Theory & Basic Harmony that complies with the Royal Conservatory of Music Program.
I use the Royal Conservatory as a standard to measure against, but it is not the only musical program I work with or teach from. There are a variety of method books for whatever style of playing you would like to learn and to reach the goals you would like to achieve.
I combine music theory, sight reading, ear testing, improvisation, and music history lessons alongside the classic piano lesson to ensure students receive a well rounded musical education. Our lessons together provide the foundation for any type of musical venture – piano, instrumental, vocal, etc.
My teaching philosophy is that each lesson and every musical goal is personally tailored to the individual student. For most of my students I teach from a variety of different beginner method books and then move into the Royal Conservatory of Music learning track.
For students who are not interested in the Royal Conservatory track, we set up personalized lessons that are in keeping with their own personal goals. My goal is to ensure students are growing and challenged but loving every step of the musical learning journey while they learn the discipline and skills required to be a successful musician and be able to play the music that makes them smile.
- Able to easily interact with people of all ages in a friendly & caring way
- Able to encourage students to press through the challenges of piano and life to see the growth that comes after the challenge is faced
- Able to establish a sense of belonging and comfort with my students which fosters a good atmosphere for learning
- Able to plan personalized lessons that challenge, promote growth and are exciting
- Able to plan lessons that draw together all the needed musical concepts to bring success for each student and comply with RCM exam requirements
- Educated in the various teaching methods available and able to choose which method/book is right for each student
- Continually improving my own musical skills by learning new things, attending teacher development seminars and involvement in my church and community musical programs.
- experienced in organizing and conducting an orchestra and choir; playing and singing with a church worship band